Wednesday, October 25

Taking Stock

No, not a recipe this time…

It’s half term in the college library. Normally this would be when we would have a good tidy, do some book prep, and recharge our batteries.

Not this time. After the catalogue of IT disasters we are still behind. One of the summer jobs is the annual stocktake. This didn’t happen for various reasons.

First the hand-held scanners we had bought the year before were found to be dead as doornails. (The manufacturers gently pointed out that they had to be kept charged up between uses. Thanks for telling us AFTER they died).

Replacements were purchased, at further expense. Then the finest brains in our IT section couldn’t get the software and the hardware to communicate.

So, for the last two days we have been taking books off the shelves, scanning the barcodes, then putting them back. Yesterday I scanned the entire 500’s section in Dewey. Nearly 2000 books. I was practically seeing barcodes in my sleep last night

I have the rest of this week off. Well earned I say.

Mind you, the bookcase in our living room could do with a tidy….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know YES I can
get you photos on my tv.I also
think that finding a English
appel is get nealy impossible,
and what a tast the good old
english apple has.
I hope you and Mrs P enjoyed
your lunch,and was able to
get some lovly liver.

Steve said...

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch, and your company greatly improved it!

To be honest, lunch kept us going into the evening. Toast and soup was our evening repast.

"lovly liver" (Sharpens large knife, breathes in with stuttering noise and crazy look in eyes) Cackles madly.