Thursday, October 12

The Green Spiky Thing...

It was handsome. Architectural. Somehow it reminded me of Thailand, pagodas and temples. Fractal images growing on a screen saver. It was in last Friday's Veg box...

Ladeez and gennlmen, I give you the mighty, undefeated Romanesco!!!



Such a lovely looking vegetable, a variety of late summer cauliflower, deserved to be cooked whole. It was duly washed, trimmed and popped in a steamer for twenty-five minutes or so.

It became part of a veg box extravaganza, served with cooked red chard, roast potatoes and roasted red squash.


The grilled Gilt-head Bream only just made it onto the plate!

It was lovely, nuttier than a normal cauli, and less watery.

Tomorrow we get another box. Not knowing what you will get is half the fun!

5 comments:

a.c.t. said...

Wow that looks amazing - it really does look like a Thai temple. The bream looks good too, I've never tried it before, what's it like? if you don't mind me asking, how much to you pay for a box?

Steve said...

The Gilt head bream is pretty much up there with sea bass, and around the same price.

The veg box we get from Riverford is the medium one, coming in at £11.50, delivered to our door by the charming Paul.

I apologise if the links I put in weren't working yesterday, I forgot the http:// before the address. Links working now.

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention how it tasted? It looks as though it would have elements of a mild broccoli. I've not seen them in Oz.

Steve said...

Welsh Dog - as I said in the post it has a nuttier flavour than the standard caulifower. Being more densely packed it gets less waterlogged too.

Its a late summer/early autumn cauliflower - I guess in Australia you would find it in February or March??

Anonymous said...

Ok... tastes nutty... almonds? Hazelnuts? Walnuts? Macadamias? :D

Not seen it here asaik... but I'll look out for it, though Oz is paranoid about 'new' plants coming in so unless it's a really old variety I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.