Thursday, October 18

Chutney

As the evenings get longer and cooler, the Phantom's thoughts are of capturing the summer in preserves. Last Sunday was devoted to our annual chutney making session. The tomatoes, some barely bigger than peas, were from our garden, mostly from window boxes in fact. The apples were from my Mum's neighbour. The tree is more in my mum's garden than it's owner's!



There is something magical about chutney, such uninspiring ingredients brought together with breath-taking amounts of vinegar, producing something so rich and complex...



The finished result, dark, mysterious. Just three months till we can open it!

5 comments:

Welsh Dog said...

Mmmmm.... it's sad the wife wasn't able to drift over to visit you both while she was in London last week. I'd have been tempted to ask her to purloin a jar and smuggle it back over here for us!! :)

I *do* still pickle things occasionally, beetroot mostly, but there's something special about a well made chutney that shop bought just can't capture.

And of course there is that smell that fills the house while preparations are underway.

I feel the same way when I pull my finger out and roast my own spices for curries and the like... something I've not done for a few years now alas. Still, if this diet keeps up and the weight finally dissolves away I may yet rejoin the ranks of the 'amateur chefs'. Not to your level of course, but maybe recover a bit of the ground I've lost over the past few years.

In the meantime... keep posting... I can taste your meals through the ether!! :D

Steve said...

Kind words indeed. Keep up the diet but don't go over the top!

As for chutney, there must be something in the autumn air. See next post link.

Love,

Phannie.

Amalee Issa said...

Hello phantom. Or should I say "Kevin Costner!" I've eaten all the tomatoes, so have none left to pickle, and I love tomato chutneys. I shall have to keep coming back to your blog and leaving little begging notes until you post a recipe for your tomato chutney. Thanks for your lovely link to my blog. And why is your wife in Ireland but your still here?

Amalee (female, therefore Very Interested In Everything Especially Other Bloggers' Throwaway Remarks.)

Amalee Issa said...

sorry, "you're"

sheepish amalee

Steve said...

My wife had to go over for a funeral. We had leave booked for the half-term, but obviously she got special leave. I joined her on the Saturday morning. Felt very grown up, flying on my own!

Chutney recipe will be posted soon, after the Irish Backlog is cleared.

"Kevin Costner"?