Wednesday, April 5

Current Affairs

Many apologies for the break in transmission….
Hopefully normal services will now resume….

I suppose I should explain...

I woke up last Friday morning feeling a little dizzy and lightheaded. By eight a.m. I had called in sick to work.

By about one in the afternoon I was in the back of an ambulance heading towards Accident and Emergency.

By half-four I was on a trolley heading towards the operating theatre. One general anaesthetic and a short, sharp shock from the defibrillator later, I woke up in the Recovery Room.

I had not had a heart attack, but one of the muscles was fibrillating. Like a wayward dancer in a chorus line the timing of my heartbeat was all confused. It got up to about 180 beats per minute at one point…

When I was lying on the trolley in A & E I really thought I might die. Strange, but I wasn’t really afraid. My wife was with me, and at least I could hold her hand and tell her how much I loved her. I just felt sorry for what I was putting her through.

Five days later and I am writing this in our garden, sitting in the sun and playing with our visiting cat. My wife will be home soon. I’m taking things easy, just glad to be alive. I’m on a couple of tablets, at least until they do a follow-up check. At the moment I’m noticing every twinge and rumble but I guess that will pass with time.

I never did get to work out what I was going to write on April Fools Day. Never mind, it will have to wait until next year. I aim to be around!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you've been unwell - hope you make a quick recovery soon. Enjoy the sunshine...

Steve said...

Very Kind of you Mike. I shall.