Friday, April 14

A Flash in the Pan?

O.K. O.K. I may not be the most with-it of people. I have never set a trend. I leave fashion to find its own destiny. (I am safe in my conviction that the current Hip-Hop fashion for jeans and tracksuit bottoms with the crotch at knee height or below will die a natural death. Have you ever watched a group of these fashion victims? They look like unwilling participants in a sack race. I have seen dozens of them dragged to their deaths by bendy-buses. They try to board but can’t raise their legs high enough and stumble to their doom).

However, even I have realised that poker has become trendy. Victoria Coren writes a column about it in the Guardian. It’s on Television. That national thermometer of the nation’s health The Archers has a character addicted to it and slowly going under, playing live and online, and losing at both.

Until I heard the adverts on the radio this morning though, I was unaware that an entire magazine had been published about the game. I did a Google search and discovered that the publication launched back in November of last year.

Now I am sure magazine titles don’t just get thought up in lunch breaks. They do research on these things don’t they? Think Tanks and Focus Groups. So what did they call this hard-hitting publication? Something redolent of whiskey and Cigars, stubble and steel-hard eyes?

No. They called it

Flush Magazine.

Yup. Flush.

I hope the magazine gets a right panning. It sounds like it certainly plumbs the depths. And you will not believe that it covers Craps as well. I love the quote from Barry Hearn on the website:

“The feeling when you sit down to play poker is like that when you climb off your stool”

Er. Yes. Still, mustn’t pooh-pooh it when I haven’t read it yet...

No comments: