Sunday, November 12

Souperman Replies

My old friend Welsh Dog, now resident in Australia, posted this reply to my most recent post on his own blog. I felt I should reply in the same way. (Please forgive what may read like a mutual flattery sesssion. Normal cynicism will resume shortly).

Welsh Dog! Many thanks for your compliments. I am humbled. I always had great respect for your culinary talents. I remember thinking that I didn’t like parsnips until I tasted your roasted ones!

Mrs P. remembers your good lady saying she only ate for fuel many years ago. It must be soul destroying!

I have to say though that I only cook because I love to eat. If you are going to eat, you should eat as well as you can. And if you want to eat as well as you can, you need to cook.

I grew up eating simple food, simply cooked. My mother always says she wouldn’t let me anywhere near the kitchen when I was growing up. I certainly don’t remember ever being involved in cooking when I was at home.

Even when I moved in with a girlfriend it took a while to find where the kitchen was. I distinctly remember that one of our standard meals was frozen beefburgers served with boiled (frozen) diced peppers and dried noodles!

I wouldn’t worry about your youngsters and their food fussiness. Just serve them tasty food made with love. It might not happen ‘til they leave home for uni, but they will remember your cooking, remember how good it was, and start trying for themselves. If they are eating home made burgers, grilled or roast chicken and steaks you are doing fine. Sounds like good, tasty food.

Don't let the high carbohydrate diet get you down either. Any diet that encourages you to eat macaroni cheese can't be bad!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm..... roast parsnips. :) They just aren't the same here, I think they *really* need that hard frost to bring out the flavour... either that or they have a less sweet, more woody variety here.

Does Rachel still cook I wonder?

Steve said...

M'learned colleague(who I know reads this blog) does still indeed cook. Maybe we can arrange a trans-global simultaneous dinner party over the web? Laptop and webcam at the end of each table? One of us will be eating breakfast I fear:-)

Anonymous said...

Having just consumed my evening repast of powdered soup jocularly named "Potato and Leek" and a cup of ersatz 'coffee'... I think the experience of watching someone eating real food... especially as prepared by your good self... would simply be too much for this poor old frail to bear.