Wednesday, June 20

Safety First

After my problems with the main PC at the beginning of the week, I have decided to take some preventative action. I have just bought a 120 Gigabyte portable hard drive. It comes with software to automate a back-up procedure whenever the user specifies. At least this way, should the main hard drive fail, I will always have a back-up ready to copy over. The thought of all my music and pictures just disappearing due to component failure is horrendous.

If we are to live in cyberspace, we always need to keep a spare!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Been there... done that :(

On one of my HDD's I have 6 years worth of digital photos (of the kids etc) all lost. I'm saving to send the drive to a data recovery company in the hope they can pull some or all back. Else I lose the lot.

What's worse is that this *was* the backup drive. Be **very** careful yours doesn't fall over. Mine was knocked off my desk by my kids and that was the end of the disk :(

Keep it secure and safe... esp so that if you need to leave the house urgently (e.g. in case of fire) you can grab it and run... but also it needs to be where burglars can;t see it and steal both computer *and* backup.

Ok those two things just aren't compatible... but I'm sure you'll work it out :D