Thursday, December 14

Food For Thought

I would like to point my reader to this extremely interesting …article on food politics in the current issue of The Economist. Forgiving myself the pun, there is a lot of food for thought contained in it.

I do have one objection though. The article quotes from a DEFRA report which says “It turns out to be better for the environment to truck in tomatoes from Spain during the winter, for example, than to grow them in heated greenhouses in Britain.” Surely this is approaching the argument from totally the wrong angle. It must be better for the environment to only grow tomatoes in season, in the summer. We don’t need to grow tomatoes in the winter. That’s what tins and jars are for, and they taste better in season too.

It is a very interesting article nevertheless. Do read it. I look forward to any comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No time to read the article... but I wonder perhaps if it covers situations as per one of my recent posts when the restaurant claims to have 'run out' of eggs poached... whilst still being able to supply eggs scrambled, boiled or fried...

... now *that* is food for thought!! :D